Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I know it's all about the $ but...

What is up with all of these entitities coming up with their own "network". I'm talking about the NHL, NFL and some college leagues. I don't think the NBA and MLB have exploited their fans yet although some teams do have this type of setup where you have to pay extra for the channel through cable or you need to have a satellite to view it. I am an occassional hockey fan - like the sport but since Cleveland doesn't have a professional team I'm not a die hard. So the NFL is off this weekend and I see the NHL is having their "All Star" Weekend. I usually enjoy watching the stars of the NHL show off their stuff - not to mention enjoy watching the "skills" competition. I went to NHL.com to see what the lowdown was on the schedule of events and who was televising the events. I found out that the skills competition does not appear that it will be televised and the actual game is on a channel called "Versus". Please note "Versus" is not included in my overpriced, bare minimum cable package. Are the leagues that are trying to make that extra buck alienating a few fans out there? I'm guessing as long as the advertising $ is coming in that they do not care. Bummer for me - looks like I'll need to have a Candyland tournament with the kids or maybe even play a few rounds of Go Fish for Sunday afternoon/evening entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. I think versus is the only network that wanted the NHL. ESPN wanted the NHL to pay them to show it or at least give it to them for free. the NHL said no, thus the rights went to what used to be the outdoor network. Hopefully NBC will pick up a few Saturday games like they did last year. Hopefully when the deal with versus expires some other network will pick up the rights.

    Robby

    ReplyDelete