Monday, January 09, 2006

The Drive

ESPN2 is broadcasting an edited version of the 1986 Broncos v. Browns AFC Championship game. It is actually making me squirm to watch it. I've not seen the footage since the live broadcast.

We all know how it ends. Do you know what I just noticed? The players in 1986 (at least in this game) didn't have end zone routines. They didn't do the funky hippo at every first down. No Sharpies pulled from socks. And there was a HUGE Marlboro Country sign above the scoreboard.

I miss the football I grew up with. But I won't mind it if it is another twenty years before I see "The Drive".

4 comments:

  1. On my flight from Orlando to Cleveland on New Years Day last week, the passenger sitting right behind me (in 2E) was THE Jim Brown. I must say, I had an incredible urge to run up and tackle him, right on the jetway. Not with a modern era tackle, but a full use-your-arms-and-pull-him-to-the-ground tackle! (Modern linebackers and safeties wouldn't know what I'm talking about.)
    Anyway, after 2 hours of envisioning how I was going to live out this fantasy, my lovely bride convinced me that it should remain a fantasy. Not because of potential legal and social ramifications, though. She did not want to see me stiff-armed and put down by a 70 year old man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My memory tells me that #57's car was a 1974 Ford Maverick that he affectionately called the LollyMobile

    ReplyDelete
  3. MatthewK, you can borrow my tape of RedRight88 anytime that you want. You may have to give your bride some background info, though, as she is probably too young to remember that game

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a cold, cold day. I remember watching the game in your apartment abd staggering (stunned, not drunk) back to Dad's car. I must have thought "They will make the Super Bowl next year." They didn't. Or the year after......

    ReplyDelete